Status Alpha 0.9.19 Release Notes
0.9.19 — Optional Mainnet
Today is a big step forward for the entire Status community. Mainnet is now enabled as a test option! If you’d like to test mainnet you can select the option in your profile. First enable Development mode In Advanced settings, and then switch to Mainnet with upstream RPC under Network.
When switching to mainnet, you will see the following caution message:
Release 0.9.19 also comes with some amazing updates. We are introducing a great many updates to make our chat performance more stable and reliable, improvements to our the DApp browsing experience and increased overall wallet functionality around the way user accounts are generated.
The Status Wallet has been upgraded. The 12 mnemonic words will generate different addresses and whisper identities (public key). Given that we changed the algorithm used to generate keys and addresses, it will be impossible to re-import accounts created with the old algorithm in Status. You also can now show the fiat value of wallet holdings and change the localized currency in your profile. (See below pic as an example)
This change means that some other mnemonic and hierarchical deterministic wallets can be recovered to Status, and Status Wallet’s can be used when recovering other compatible Wallet’s. So starting today you can import an account that you want to use from MyCrypto, MyEtherWallet or MetaMask that you’ve previously generated to use in Status!
Status Chat has undergone a number of improvements to increase messaging reliability due to an updated change to the underlying protocol that serves whisper messages. Timestamps have also been added to chat messages, quite a feat for a decentralized messaging system served completely on-top of Ethereum.
DApp browser has been improved substantially with this version, as well as several web3 compatibility improvements on signing transactions, an updated DApp list and a way for authors to identify Status as the custom provider on their DApps.
Please note: many of the featured DApps are deployed on mainnet. Though the team is testing these vigorously, we don’t recommend users switch to mainnet until the beta is released.
Over 130 commits and 400+ files changed
New and Improved:
- Wallet is now compatible with other mnemonic and hierarchical deterministic wallets
- New wallet onboarding screens, with new signing phrase introduction
- Token transactions are now shown in Transaction History
- Show the fiat value of wallet assets
- Currency is now changeable in Profile
- Localized currency formatting
- Asset management list is now ordered alphabetically
- Addresses in wallet and contact code can now be selected and copied
- Added Mainnet as a network option
- Greatly improved chat reliability
- Transaction flow is now consistent with wallet
- Timestamp is now shown inside chat bubbles
- Long messages collapse by default for cleaner UI
- Better handling of mail errors
- Better offline messaging support when app is in background
- Realm is now encrypted
- Back button refinements
- Chat UI style updates
- Improved UI performance by removing chat animations
- Fixed unread message counter for +999 messages
- Many web3 DApp compatibility improvements
- Added Airswap DApp
- Updated DApp list and added categories
- Implemented transactions queue for DApps
- Added a simple test DApp in dev mode
- DApp authors can now identify the Status client
- Fixed wrong password hint
- Display correct status for console messages
- Hide tab bar when keyboard is visible
- Changed name copy to be clearer
- Fixed gwei input styles
- Can no longer sign messages with an empty password
- Removed an erroneous “seen” command in public chats
- Fixed an issue when editing number values with periods
- Recover lost contact requests and messages
- iPhone X fixes
- Removed “unknown status” text from chat screen
- Better number formatting
- Fixed crash when camera permissions were not granted
- Disabled external bots
- Show a spinner when refreshing wallet on iOS
- Updated opt-in metrics ID
- Toggle dev mode to change network settings
- Removed debug command for security reasons
- Navigation errors are no longer presented as DApps
- Many miscellaneous improvements
Ready to test?
If you already have Status installed, updating is simple. Here’s how:
- iOS: Within TestFlight, make sure you see Version 0.9.18 and tap ‘INSTALL’
- Android: If you are not automatically asked to update, go to Status.im in the PlayStore and click ‘Update’ there.
Note: when updating, you will need to create a new account. Attempts to restore a previous account will automatically generate a new account.
If you haven’t installed Status already, here’s how you can download:
As an open source project, the single best way to get involved with development is to hop on board and help the community build Status! Start by exploring our open issues — note that we typically prefer to hire core contributors based on Pull Requests.
If you feel you can help us grow our community in other ways, we’d love to hear your ideas! Tweet, like our Facebook or subscribe to the Status Subreddit to weigh in. You can also join the conversation on our Riot channel. We look forward to hearing your feedback on the new release!